Monday, November 18, 2013

Let's Meet KC Cassi

So at I Do What I Want Radio we wanted the readers to get to know a little about KC Cassi. She is going to be writing reviews for the station, shows, bands, songs, concerts, and events. We thought it might be fair for you as our listener's and readers to get to know her. Plus, if you want a review done for your artist please let us know KC Cassi is your girl.

Where does your motivation for supporting local music come from? My motivation comes from the happiness of others. I have always been a 'people pleaser' and knowing that what I do for the local music community creates results and happiness is my motivation. As long as there are bands that want it and and appreciate support, there will be KC Cassi.
Tell us how long you have been writing reviews, and how did you get started? I have been writing reviews since 2009 and it all started with the blues band, The Billy Bats. While drinking with some friends at a hole in the wall bar one night, the bats were performing and the 2 piece just blew me away. I wanted to share this with as many people as I could so I slapped up a 3 paragraph review on the show and put up a blog. A week later it had over 400 hits and I figured I should keep it going. The "KC Cassi" name came about a year later when I was watching Holly Starr on 38 the Spot shake her shoulders while she talked on TV (like she always did) and felt the need to take her down and represent the REAL Kansas City. Haha while it started out of spite and with no real direction, is has now given me a whole new purpose.
What the hardest review you ever had to write? The hardest review I have ever had to write? Hmm that's a tough question. Writing is almost never hard for me but sometimes if the album or live performance is boring or sounds the same throughout the whole listen, I find it difficult to describe that to the listeners. Also, EDM music is really hard to review for numerous reasons.
What are the ups and downs of writing your reviews? I wouldn't say there are downs to writing the reviews. I mean, you have to expect haters and upset musicians that are unhappy with the review but at the end of the day, it's my opinion only. If a musician gets that butt hurt over my words, they aren't going to make it far in the music industry anyways. I love the fact that people do take the constructive criticism I give and use it to improve though. Of course a perk of writing is being requested to the shows and not having to pay the cover! However, I always buy merch or support them in so way because it's their dream I want to support.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years, with what you are doing? Where do I see myself in 5 years eh? Well ideally, I will be writing for Rolling Stone, and be able to use that gift to help further the dreams of the locals here in KC. I will continue to work my "day job" because I genuinely enjoy that job and by then my two boys will have already started their own band at 7 and 8 years old Haha
Last but not least, (we couldn’t make it ALL professional) would you rather walk in on your parents having sex or have your parents walk in on you? Haha! Well Unfortunately, I have already walked in on my mother. However, I would definitely prefer her to walk in on me because she just might learn something!